The management of the Council
- Chairman's office open
Within 100 days for the total meetings in a year
which is decided by a council. is a term for a council's legislative activities and the total meeting days including regular and temporary sessions in a year are within 100 days.
Nevertheless, in case of the necessity of holding an assembly in excess of the desginated total meeting days for inevitable reasons, the council can extend its days within 10 days by its decision.
A regular session
held twice a year; the first regular session meets on June 25 every year. Nevertheless, in the year when a general election is held, the meeting is held in September or October by the council's decision. The second regular session is held on Dec.5 every yea.
A temporary session is convoked by the request of the ward office head or more than one-third of the enrolled council members.
Deliberation on the draft budget and settlement of accounts
- If the draft budget and balance sheets are submitted by the council, it is referred to the standing committee for its preliminary deliberation at the same time with the formation of the Special Committee on Budget and Accounts after hearing explanations for proposal from the ward office head; then, the Special Committee on Budget and Accounts brings up the bill to the general meeting after its deliberation and decision-making.
- The general meeting makes decisions through a series of inquiries and discussion after hearing reports on deliberation on the bill from the head of the special committee on budget & accounts, and then the passed draft budget is transferred to the ward office head for its enforcement.
A Voting Right
- Local Council is a representative organ for its residents and a legislative organ of a local autonomous entity.
- The required matters for decision based on the local council's Local Government Act are as follows:
- ① Enactment, revision or abrogation of an ordinance
- ② Deliberation & Decision of a draft budget
- ③ Approval of Accounts
- ④ Imposition and collection of rental fees, commission fees, contributory payments, local taxes or entrance fees excluding those stipulated in laws and ordinances
- ⑤ stablishment & Management of Funds
- ⑥ Acquisition & Disposal of the major assets provided by a Presidential decree
- ⑦ Installation and Disposal of public facilities provided by a Presidential decree
- ⑧ Extra-budget obligatory burden or waiver of the rights excluding those stipulated by laws and ordinances
- ⑨ Receipt & Disposal of a petition
- ⑩ Matters on exchange & cooperation with foreign local autonomous organs
- ⑪ Matters which belong to the authority provided by miscellaneous laws and ordinances
- A general meeting is a council body consisting of the total members of the proper autonomous entity and the meeting is open with the presence of more than one-third of the enrolled members as a final decision-making stage; its major function is to fix its legislative schedules and decide the bills deliberated by the standing committee.
- When a speaker want to take the floor, he needs to get prior permission from the chairman and the speaking time cannot exceed 20 minutes and inquiry, supplementary speech, a speech on the progress of the proceedings and personal speech cannot exceed 10 minutes.